[GNC] Transferring portion of mutual fund account to another fund account

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue Feb 5 09:57:55 EST 2019

On 2/4/2019 8:09 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> If you are in the US and both funds are within the same custodial account
> the answer is trivial, just sell one and buy the other.  It only matters
> when you withdraw cash.
>
> If you are somehow moving shares from one custodian to another, that is
> more complicated.
>
> If they are non-custodial accounts ask your accountant.
>
> David Carlson

This (correct) answer points out that this was NOT a gnucash question
but rather a question about how to account for a transaction of this
sort no matter what was being used for the bookkeeping (even old
fashioned pen and ink on paper). The problem with questions of this sort
is that while many of us here do know the answer (and "allowed" to use
that knowledge for our own books, few if any of us hold the
"credentials" allowing us to advise others.

That's why we have to say "ask your accountant".

Michael D Novack