[GNC] Transferring portion of mutual fund account to another fund account

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 12:01:38 EST 2019

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 10:17 AM Harry Foerster <hfoerster at shaw.ca> wrote:

> It seems this email request has gone sideways a bit.
>
> The actual transactions are being handled by the financial institutions
> accordingly and reported to me in statements. I fully believe their
> accountants are following the proper Canadian financial security laws.
>
> The crust of my request for assistance was how I could personally record
> these transaction into Gnucash; what steps or procedures does Gnucash have
> to allow the transfer, on the cost basis, of units between accounts in
> Gnucash. Any suggestions or hints on a path to follow is appreciated.

Technically, our answer remains the same, 'Ask your accountant.'

However, once your accountant has given you an answer regarding how
Canadian accountants handle such transactions in their accounting reports
to the government, you can go the the GnuCash Tutorial.

There you can read the Investments section which only covers certain
specific cases but describes a lot of detail about the inner workings of
GnuCash and often leads users to their own creative solutions to coaxing
GnuCash into generating similar reports.

There has also been a lot of discussion in this maillist over the years and
sometimes a user can describe details about, say, how the 'Lots' feature
works or how unrealized income is calculated in reports.  Your question
probably revolves around when and how to track unrealized gains or convert
them to realized gains.  While I know absolutely nothing about how you do
that in Canada, I do know it is far different from the way it is done in
the US, and Carte Blanche assumptions are probably wrong.  There may be
some Canadian users able to share how they track similar situations,
perhaps at your local library.

Most of what you will find here is based on the assumption that the stock
or fund is bought or sold from the same security account at the same
brokerage house, not 'in kind' transfers between brokers or from your
safety deposit box to your broker.

Good Luck,

David Carlson