[GNC] Accounting for gold coins

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 07:39:48 EST 2019

Gnucash by policy uses the ISO currency definitions, which precludes any additions or extensions. And yes, this had been discussed before. Workarounds have focused either on treating metals like any other commodity, as you have done here, or by loading your alternative (e.g., bitcoin) on an unused currency.
Hth,David

  On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 6:17, Adrien Monteleone<adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:  <snip>

I don’t think you can define your own currency, but I seem to recall this being discussed on the list or in a bug report somewhere. Otherwise, you could create a gold-gram currency for example, and then either set up your own quote source, or possibly create a fixed exchange rate to XAU and when that updates, your custom gold-gram would update. But I really don’t think that ability has been implemented.

Regards,
Adrien