[GNC] Non-zero starting balance?

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Wed Jan 2 12:31:39 EST 2019

On 1/1/19 10:02 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> Bo,
>
> If you still have copies of your bank statements you can review the
> register a nd compare the running balances to your statements to see if or
> when the balances do not match.  If there are a few outstanding items at
> the end of a statement period they should account for any difference.
>
> You probably entered one transaction at the beginning to set your original
> starting balance in the register.
>
> If you allowed Gnucash to automatically re balance your account at some
> point there may be additional transactions that do not match your
> statements which you will need to find and delete.
>
> In general it is ok to ignore a difference in the reconciliation starting
> balance from your bank statement if your running register balance matches
> except for outstanding items.
>
> Such a difference might come from an item that was entered with an earlier
> date to correct some previous error.
>
> David C

Check your dates on all transactions (open up the date range).
Occasionally my fingers have lost a digit on the year and I've had dates
in the year 218.

One that that was supposed to be 11/22/2018 ended up as 1/2/2018 (my
finger didn't stutter when it should have)!

That one entry made all my prior months for 2018 no longer balance when
they had been balancing just an hour before.

> On Tue, Jan 1, 2019, 11:21 PM Bo Laurent <bo at bolaurent.com wrote:
>
>> I am a new gnucash user; I am preparing my records to share with my
>> accountant for the first time (previously using Quicken for Mac).
>>
>> My checking account was balancing, for every statement from January 2018 to
>> Nov ember 2018, and I looked over a transaction report and changed quite a
>> few items.
>>
>> Now my checking account has a strange starting balance (tens of thousands
>> of dollars, when it should never exceed 10,000). I decided to start from
>> zero by re-balancing November 1, 2017 (there are no transactions earlier
>> than Dec 21 2017). But strangely, the starting balance shows $48K. How can
>> a gnucash show a non-zero starting balance for an account when the
>> reconciliation date is earlier than the earliest entry?

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
kg7je at arrl.net
253-350-0166