[GNC] Date Completion - sliding 12 month window

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Jan 19 04:55:02 EST 2019

Op zaterdag 19 januari 2019 01:58:51 CET schreef Parke:
> Hello,
>
> I have used GnuCash since 2003.
>
> Today I discovered the Edit -> Preferences -> Date/Time -> Date
> Completion option.  This is an option I have wanted almost every year
> in January when I am entering data from the preceding December.
>
> Unfortunately, I am unable to activate this option.
>
> When I click on the "In a sliding 12-month window ..." option, the
> corresponding radio button turns solid grey for slightly more than one
> second.  Then the radio button reverts to a solid white color.  (The
> "In the current calendar year" option remains selected [i.e. with a
> small black circle] the entire time.)
>
> I also tried selecting the "sliding" option in a new set of books.  I
> was still unable to activate the "sliding" option.  However, with a
> new, empty set of books, the solid grey circle appeared only for a
> tiny fraction of a second.
>
> Is there something I am missing?  Or is the sliding date window option
> non-functional?
>
> I am running on Ubuntu 18.04, running GnuCash 2.6.19.  I am using the
> Openbox window manager.  (In other words, I am using neither Unity nor
> Gnome.)  No messages are written to stdout / stderr.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Parke

Hi Parke,

For the record on my Fedora 29 system it seems to work fine with gnucash 3.4.

Are you able to change any of the other preferences ? If not, there may be a
problem with the settings backend (which on linux systems is dconf).

Does the trace file [1]  show warnings if you try to change this date option ?

And lastly you could also try to install a tool called dconf-editor and try to
change the option directly in dconf.

The path in dconf is
/org/gnucash/general
The keys that would interest you there are
date-completion-sliding (should be set to "On")
date-completion-thisyear (should be set to "Off")
date-backmonths (should be set to the number of months back you want the
sliding window to start)

Regards,

Geert

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile