[GNC] How to apply Over Payments or Pre-Payments to a Different Invoice

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Jul 10 10:28:25 EDT 2019

When you are processing a payment using a remaining credit due to an overpayment, you select both the credit remaining and the new invoice. You do not need to select a transfer account in this case.

If there is still a balance due on the invoice and you are processing that payment as well, you can do so all in this step by entering that remaining amount as if it were a standalone payment and select the proper transfer account as you would otherwise.

If the credit is more than the invoice, GnuCash will just continue to recycle it back to an overpayment for use next time.

I keep a Receivables Aging Report open in a tab at all times for reference, but I think the Invoices Due Reminder might also show outstanding overpayments. (could be mistaken about that) From this, I can see an overall credit/debit balance for each customer which usually hints at a credit not used. (outstanding actual credit notes on the other hand will definitely show up in the Invoices Due Reminder)

Unfortunately, the Customer Report doesn’t match up invoices to payments, it is just a straight time-line of debits and credits. (you can sort of match them up if you utilize the notes and memos fields, but there are a few bugs on this issue at present to make this entirely useful)

If a customer regularly floats lots of invoices, or balances owed along with credits held, there is no easy way to see which credits haven’t been used other than trying to process a payment and they’ll show up there.

Regards,
Adrien