[GNC] Scheduled transactions: Why create in advance?

AEG aeg21212-forum at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 10 17:06:45 EDT 2019

Hi Stephen

Stephen M. Butler wrote
> So:  Edit - Preferences - Scheduled Transactions  and set the Create in
> Advance # of days didn't work for you?

No, I had previously thought that the setting you refer to would allow
global adjustments to be made but it only affects subsequently created
scheduled transactions, not those that already exist.

Stephen M. Butler wrote
>> Although creating in advance is not a problem for some transactions,
>> undesirable consequences with others have persuaded me to abandon this
>> feature entirely and rely on AceMoney to provide the information I seek.
>> (I
>> had hoped to discontinue use of AceMoney in favour of GnuCash). The
>> problem
>> I refer to is as follows...
>>
>> Two of my scheduled transactions, which were set to create 14 days in
>> advance, turned out to have errors or lacked information that I wanted to
>> enter on those and all future transactions. This meant that, not only did
>> have to edit the future transactions in Transaction Editor but to also
>> individually edit the ones that had already been created.
>

> Yup, I make typos also.  Easy to fix.  A couple of my transactions (one
> being the mortgage payment, change every month.  Thankfully I get
> advanced notice of the real values and can modify the scheduled
> transaction before it is created.  Missed doing that a couple of times.
> My fault.

Yes, they are easy to fix if done before they are created. Unfortunately, I
had a situation where I had set some scheduled transactions to create 6
months in advance to provide a rough idea of what the balances were likely
to be at that time. Having obtained the 'snapshot' information I had sought,
I then found that I had to go through all of the transactions created in
advance and delete them, then recreate the scheduled transactions again! I
wouldn't have had that problem if they hadn't been created.

Stephen M. Butler wrote
> If it doesn't fit your style, find something that does.  Or jump in and
> submit code to add an enhancement.
>
> Maybe create yourself a spreadsheet, convert to a csv transaction file,
> import it.
>
> --Steve
>
> --
> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM

I wish I could submit some code but, although I do have some programming
experience, I am not familiar with the code used in GnuCash or how to get
into it. As for the spreadsheet idea, I'm not sure how this would help my
situation.

Kind regards,
Alan