[GNC] Concern with the lengthy list of "Known Issues"

Mon Jul 22 16:08:53 EDT 2019

Hi,

I am using gnucash since 2004 for multiple accounts and have my whole personal history since then in one file. I am running gnucash on MacOs in German which is somewhat special and the only dev for MacOs is John. Thanks to him for all the work putting he is putting in! I was a pretty happy user up until 3.0.

But with the 3.x series there are more problems than I am used to and progress is very slow. The only version working for me so far is 3.5, which is my production version for now. Versions before crashed or failed on important operations (like the csv importer, which is the main reason I am using 3.x). 3.6 apparently has a stray ifdef on MacOs which makes the program always fall back to English. So I am back to 3.5.

And the release cycle is pretty long. So even when bugs are fixed it takes a lot of time to get them in a stable build.

As much as I am proponent of using the latest software versions: with gnucash 3.x I cannot wholeheartedly
recommend it. The good thing though is that you can try and go back. The latest 2.x version reads 3.x files. And switching between 3.x versions back and forth works too.

Cheers,
Christoph