[GNC] no user assigned error message

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jun 10 10:30:17 EDT 2019

> On Jun 7, 2019, at 1:05 PM, NHEngineer <NHEngineer at Gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm a brand new user so please be easy on me.  I was a Quicken user but I'm
> not going to subscribe to the new owner's blackmail demand so I've chosen to
> try to learn gnuCASH.  I struggled through the account set-up and I thought
> I did everything right - guess I missed something.  The gnu help didn't help
> me much.  It may be the the 'no user assigned' is triggered by many
> different errors.  I search "no user assigned" here and only found two
> threads neither of which applied to my problem.
>
> I thought I followed the instruction for setting up my checking account at
> Northway Bank in Berlin, NH properly.  It was a struggle but I thought I was
> successful.  'Thought' being the operative word.  When I tried to transfer
> from the Northway account to my gnu file, I got this error message:
>
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t378656/NoUserAssignedError.jpg>
>
> When I closed that window, I got this one:
>
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t378656/NoUserAssignedError02.jpg>
>
> Help!

That means that you didn't assign a user (did you even create one?) to the bank account in AQBanking setup.

But before you put any more time into it, are you sure that Northway Bank even supports OFXDirectConnect? https://www.northwaybank.com/personal/online-banking, under ONLINE BANKING FEATURES says "Download account balances and transaction history for upload into Quicken or QuickBooks", implying that you can download files for import, not connect directly with accounting software.

There's no entry for Northway Bank in https://www.ofxhome.com, another indication that they might not support OFX DirectConnect. Note that OFX WebConnect, where you log in via the website and the browser somehow transfers a security token to Quicken, is *not supported* by AQBanking.

Regards,
John Ralls