[GNC] I just don't understand reconciliation

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Jun 18 20:10:52 EDT 2019

> On Jun 18, 2019, at 7:02 PM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> On 6/18/19 4:56 PM, Maf. King wrote:
>> I'm slightly confused as to why dispatch dates matter in an accounting
>> program.  It almost sounds like you are trying to use the reconcile workflow
>> for something that is not.
>
> Just trying to get everything inside the balance date.

You check off everything on the statement. That means it is ‘inside the balance date’ - as it is part of the math that moves you from Opening Balance to Closing Balance.

The actual dates in your register are generally, irrelevant.

> I used the "finish" button on one of my checking accounts, but
> then again everything had passed on the statement.  Got
> lots of nice "y"’s.

That’s how it is supposed to work.

> I think I should only do finish on the opening date of
> my statements and use the box on the lower right to see
> if I balance with the ending date of my statement.  That
> it does a nice job.

Backwards.

`Finish` means you want to complete and finalize the reconciliation, otherwise, you didn’t actually reconcile the closing balance, you just ‘cleared’ a bunch of transactions. It occurs as of the end of a period, not the beginning of the next.

Regards,
Adrien