[GNC] Unable to add prices to some securities

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Mar 21 11:06:25 EDT 2019

Alan,

I’m in agreement with Derek here. Since GnuCash is written using the GTK toolkit, which is not native to either Windows or Mac, Linux is the top choice. While I use GnuCash daily on Mac, there are a few (though easily worked-around) hiccups, such as with multi-monitor setups, application tabs, etc.

The only drawback to Linux is if you aren’t comfortable with building from source *and* you always want the latest version without upgrading your OS. Many distros keep a fixed version in their repository and newer versions usually don’t get backported. So if you want a newer version, you’ll have to build it. (usually a not very painful process, but this varies by system and distro choice) New versions of GnuCash for Windows and Mac are always just a download and click away. One of the devs is working on maintaining a flatpak image from here on out, so that should address this case, but it too comes with some caveats due to the sandboxed nature of flatpak apps. (external and network drive access need special attention, and report printing is limited to first printing to file) One user was kind enough to build a .deb backport of 3.4 to Ubuntu 18.04 and you can find the links for it in the list archives. Perhaps he might do this for 3.5 when it is released as well.

Hope that helps with your decision.

Regards,
Adrien