[GNC] End of year rollover

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Mar 22 11:00:59 EDT 2019

Christian Kluge <frakturfreak at gmail.com> writes:

> Am 21.03.2019 um 21:00 schrieb Derek Atkins:
>>
>>> At least for me in Germany I can’t think of someone accounting for more
>>> than one year and also only on certain circumstances accounting for
>>> another period than 01.01. to 31.12.
>>
>> Here in the US, organizations are free to set up any financial year they
>> wish.  Many still choose a calendar year, but certainly may are on a
>> skewed calendar.  Many choose June 30 for the end of the year.  I worked
>> one place that was Jan 31.
>>

> But still it’s just one year.

I don't understand your point?  These are two orthogonal issues.

There is the issue of year start/end, and there is the issue of whether
to hold multiple years in a single data file.  You seemed to imply that
a calendar year was sufficient, and I was pointing out that no, it is
not.

This is completely separable from the other question of whether to have
separate files for each year.

> The certain circumstances I mentioned are mainly income tax related:
>
> The financial for farmers ends at 30.06. and for forestry it can be 28.02.
>
> A merchant according to German commercial law can choose a financial
> year than the calendar year with approval from the tax office.

Same here in the US.

> However if it’s just a small cash accounting business the financial year
> is always the calendar year.

"Never say never"  :)

> And all I’ve said about different financial years doesn’t apply for VAT
> which is always reported for the calendar year, which complicates things
> even further.

FUN!

> Kind regards
>
> Christian Kluge

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745