[GNC] How to create report on checking showing only withdrawals? Or only deposits?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Nov 11 14:32:31 EST 2019

> On Nov 11, 2019 w46d315, at 12:39 PM, Fran_3 <mailbox0600 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Adrien,
>

> I ran a find on the check register and looked for...
>
> Value has credits greater than zero
>
> Looks like that gave me all withdrawals from checking...
>

> Then I ran another Ctrl-F and searched for date after...
>
> Then again and searched for date before...
>
> Looks like that gave me all withdrawals from checking for the period...

Note too, you can combine multiple criteria in one shot, so no need to iterate searches.

Particularly for date ranges, you can also do a View > Filter By... on the resulting tab to narrow date ranges so you don’t have to make that part of your search criteria if such is your preference. The resulting Account Report *should* respect your Filter By... settings. (which also lets you filter by reconcile status, another possible bonus.)

> Then I ran an Account Report to get the totals
>
> So thanks for (once again :-) reminding me to search the register and then run an Account Report.
>
> That said, my issue with this is you only get the split view... and the Account Report does not give you all the options you have with the Transaction Report...
>
> But, going the Transaction Report route will not let me see only deposits or only withdrawals... so your way is best because it actually works :-)

Sadly, yes, the Transaction Report is more versitile in what you can display. I like that you have the option to show (or not) the *other* splits that are part of the returned transaction(s). The Account Report does not have this option. Perhaps this would be a good Request For Enhancement you could file (RFE) as a bug report. Maybe the code is similar enough that the ‘Account Report’ would become a specialized version of the ’Transaction Report’ and get you exactly what you are looking for.

Regards,
Adrien