[GNC] Reconciliation

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 17:18:12 EST 2019

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 3:32 PM David Cousens <davidcousens at bigpond.com>
wrote:

> David,
>
> Thanks for your question.

> In your experience are the "pending edits" preserved if the register
> containing them is closed or are the edits to the transaction discarded on
> closing the register. If you try to edit a transaction in two registers
> AFAIK you get a warning that the transaction is opened for editing in
> another register and similarly if you try to close a register with a
> pending
> edit still open, you get a warning with the option to save any changes or
> discard the changes. With my workflow I do not tend to have a lot of
> registers open generally so I rarely encounter the pending edit situation
> in
> practice.
>
> This is the most common scenario for my usage.  I start editing a
multi-line split transaction in one account register then I 'jump' to
another account register to see how that account is affected.  The warning
that appears if I try to continue editing in that account does not tell me
where the pending edit is located.  Then I come back from dinner and by
then I have forgotten where I started from and sometimes there are six
different accounts to wade through plus one or more search windows and
maybe a 'with child accounts' window or general ledger window where I may
have started from.  I thought that I had covered this in an enhancement
request asking for visual clues when a particular split line was being
edited to see it from other views and have a link to navigate back to that
'home' window, but I could not find it.  I have a note to myself to
re-enter that request when I have time.  I would also want a flag of some
sort in the account tab for each account register that has a pending edit.
That should catch the complex window cases.

As for what happens when GnuCash crashes or the power supply dies, I am not
sure, but I sometimes wonder why a transaction that I thought I edited is
not correct or missing.  The other issue that I mentioned in another
message recently is that the automagic backup feature will save the data
file and grey out the Save button yet leave pending edits in place.  Then
using the Save button to trigger a search for them will fail unless I have
first made the file 'dirty'  by committing another edit.

> I have encountered them during reconciliation if I have entered a register
> to correct a transaction - I very occasionally have a transaction which
> might differ by 0.01 in the value recorded in my original entry and the
> value appearing on a statement for example or I may have entered a
> transaction incorrectly. The reconciliation process normally updates on the
> fly if a transaction is edited in the register provided it is closed and
> saved in the register
>
> If there is a pending edit in the account being reconciled, I suspect it
is handled correctly, but what if there is a pending edit in one of the
'other' account split lines?

> David Cousens.
>

> -----
> David Cousens