[GNC] How can I add statement balances to my accounts as

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 10:14:24 EDT 2019

To David T's point, when there are un-reconciled items in the register, the
reconciled balance will still match the bank statement if the
reconciliation was completed successfully. Where GnuCash appears to
disagree is in the fact that there is no reconciliation report kept in the
data file or option to display the reconciled balance in the register.
However, Alan is entering the value that GnuCash is displaying in the
register when the reconciliation is complete, or the technically
un-reconciled balance.  Any change in the history preceding that date
should show a disagreement between the note and the displayed balance.

I agree with Alan that often there are very few outstanding un-reconciled
items so it would not be a challenge to mentally adjust for that if even
necessary.  Also, one could show both reconciled balance and un-reconciled
balance in a manual entry used to track those numbers.

Personally, I have used a method similar to Alan's in my bank and credit
card accounts for years.  Most of the errors that I make are in transfers
between accounts where whichever transaction was entered last 'breaks' the
reconciliation of another account if the transaction is assigned to the
incorrect account or if it clears on a different date.  For those date
mismatches I just choose one and leave the other one incorrect unless I
really want to track that float for some reason.  I have a special account
for those cases.

David Carlson

David Carlson