[GNC] Can not insert text on transaction after import QIF

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sun Oct 20 01:20:09 EDT 2019

David,

If the library files (*.go) are not present in
/usr/local/lib/gnucash/scm/ccache/2.0/gnucash then there is definitely a
problems with the build and install. They should also occur in
.../gnucash3.7/build/lib/gnucash/scm/ccache/2.0/gnucash as this is where
they are created in the build procedure and installed to /usr/local from
there.

The most common problem I have had with building is the relative addressing
of the source directories from the build directory. I always create the
build directory as a subdirectory of the gnucash-3.7 directory created when
you unpack the tarball, although it can really be located anywhere you like
in principle. cmake has to find the CMakeLists.txt file located in the
gnucash-3.7 directory to correctly build GnuCash. The ".." relative
addressing for the cmake command requires that the build directory is a
subdirectory of gnucash-3.7.  (You probably know this but I am being
pedantic in the hope it helps).

The build only requires the development headers for the libraries to be
installed to build AFAIK but the requisite libraries have to be present on
the system when GnuCash runs.  The errors you are getting seem to suggest
the build has a problem in creating the libraries. The build process is
recursive and if it starts in the wrong spot in the source directory it
might look like it completes.

My reasoning for putting the build asa subdirectory of gnucash-3.7is that if
I have to uninstallIi then know which version I am uninstalling and the
uninstall is performed from the build directory. (I sometimes have a few
versions built that I can install as production versions and I usually have
builds of the master and maint development branches as well). The uninstall
procedure also has to be able to access the source directories (not sure why
it is necessary though) as it does some checks before uninstalling the files
in the install_manifest.txt file which is created under the build directory
during the installation procedure to /usr/local.  Checking the manifest may
also help with diagnosis as it should have an error message if a file isn't
available to load in the build directory.

There is also a description of how to manually remove GnuCash completely
from a linux system in the wiki ( except for the users config and altered
reports etc) for those cases when you no longer have the source and build
dircetory.

Good luck

David Cousens

-----