[GNC] What is Unrealized Losses/Gain in Balance Sheet Report ?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Apr 8 09:39:06 EDT 2020

This links to your other thread about recording fluctuations in gold prices.

You don’t need to record the fluctuations, as GnuCash will show you the unrealized (because you haven’t sold yet) gain or loss. Just perform a ‘Get Quotes’ on a regular basis. (you can also manually enter prices if you forget to pull them)

It will do this automatically for any case where you have more than one currency with exchange rates other than “1”. (as well as for all books with accounts of type ‘fund’ or ’stock’ that have changes in prices)

When you transfer money between banks with different currencies, most likely you will receive some sort of receipt that indicates the two amounts. You want to enter those as the transaction and then this will add a new price to the database. If you just enter one amount (say VND) then GnuCash will use the last known price. That will rarely be correct since most currencies float freely and the exchange rate changes at least daily if not fluidly near 24/7.

Regards,
Adrien