[GNC] Auto-delete imbalance with no value in split

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Fri Apr 10 11:54:14 EDT 2020

On 4/9/20 1:55 PM, Håkon Fremstad wrote:
> Hi
>
> Whenever I change the value of a split-transaction, I get an imbalance
> with the difference. And after I fix the imbalance in the
> split-transaction the imbalance stays there with no value. Is there a
> way to make these empty imbalances disappear automatically to make
> things neater?

Do not hit the enter key after making the first change.  Just tab or
otherwise move the cursor to the other split that needs changed and make
the appropriate change there.

Doing it this way will open a split with no account name but with the
value that would be "out of balance".  You have the option then of
giving that line an account name OR modifying another split line to
absorb that difference.  If you do modify the other split line, then the
new line with the out of balance will go away (tab or otherwise move the
cursor out of the amount field that you just modified).

Only then (when all looks like it should) hit the enter key.

Its the enter key that causes the modified transaction to be "committed."

> I've tried searching for my problem in the archives. The closest thing
> I could find was
> https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2017-January/068469.html
> but I don't think it's exactly the thing I'm wondering about.
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Håkon

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com