[GNC] Auto-delete imbalance with no value in split

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Fri Apr 10 12:14:03 EDT 2020

On 4/9/20 11:13 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> It would be nice if zero value imbalances would disappear automatically,
> but they don't.  The methods described in the reference that you found ae a
> couple ways to get rid of them.  I usually delete the Imbalance split line
> from the asset or liability register where the transaction resides.

Usually happens because you hit the enter key in the middle of making
all the changes.  I found (at least up through 3.7 on Ubuntu 19.10) that
making all changes to all lines will remove that "extra" line that pops
up after modifying the first split.  Safe the enter key until it all
looks good again.

And yes, it would be nice that a "zero" split line would automatically
be removed when the enter key is hit.  This would be helpful when the
enter key is hit in the middle of making changes.  Keep on fixing the
remaining lines and let that Imbalance line go back to zero and have it
automatically disappear at the next enter key.

Would be helpful also in those cases where a transaction sits for hours
(days, weeks, months) with an unnoticed Imbalance split and you finally
come back to fix it.

Might be helpful just in general for any line that goes to a zero value
(but I think some folks use those lines for other purposes so they might
object).  I would be fine if it only happened for the "Orphan" and
"Imbalance" lines going to zero.

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 1:03 AM Håkon Fremstad <h.fremstad at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Whenever I change the value of a split-transaction, I get an imbalance
>> with the difference. And after I fix the imbalance in the
>> split-transaction the imbalance stays there with no value. Is there a
>> way to make these empty imbalances disappear automatically to make
>> things neater?
>>
>> I've tried searching for my problem in the archives. The closest thing I
>> could find was
>> https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2017-January/068469.html
>> but I don't think it's exactly the thing I'm wondering about.
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Håkon

>> -----

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM