[GNC] Reporting combinations of accounts

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Wed Apr 29 16:27:34 EDT 2020

On 4/29/20 12:21 PM, Ruaraidh wrote:
> I have the same question. I hope someone can answer.
>
> I'd put it more basically. I am a novice to GnuCash with no formal
> accountancy training other than reading the (really good!) introduction in
> the GnuCash documents, plus 10 years struggling with accounts in Excel. What
> I wonder is, is there a "right" way to do this from an accountant's
> perspective?
> I find it kind of weird that the law allows couples to have joint assets,
> liabilities, income and expenses, but doesn't allow them to report jointly
> for tax purposes (unless, I guess, they go into proper business partnerships
> and maintain formal business accounts). So I want to know the right way to
> do it, and then ask if GnuCash can do that.

It might help to know which country you are in.  Here in the US we just
file "Married filing jointly" and use the combined information.

More importantly, you need a local tax/account professional to tell you
the correct way to handle this for your jurisdiction.  Then somebody
here should know how to implement that in GnC.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
kg7je at arrl.net