[GNC] Correcting an incorrect amount on a payment

Tim Quinn tim.quinn at att.net
Wed Aug 5 11:22:28 EDT 2020

> On Aug 5, 2020, at 8:14 AM, Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
>
> That may not be correct. If you right-click the transaction, do you see 'Edit payment' or do you see 'Assign as payment' in the menu?

I did see ‘Edit payment.’ When I tried that, Gnucash did not change the payment amount as shown in the General Journal, but rather it created a new line for the difference with account “Imbalance-USD.” I could change that to match the other lines representing invoices to which I had applied part of the payment, but the customer report for that customer did not reflect the adjustment.

I’ve gone back and tried it again using the backup of the data file, and I now see that if I changed the account for the new “Imbalance” line to the checking account (where the original check was deposited) then things do seem to turn out correctly, including the customer report for the relevant customer. And that seems to make sense to me now that I think about it.

> If you check the relevant Vendor Report, do you see the payment listed appropriately? If you choose Options > Display Columns > Links > 'Detailed' you'll see additional columns showing how the payment was applied to which invoice(s).
>
> While you can put anything you want in "Num" that may not have been what you wanted. If you had a check number or transaction number you wanted to use, that should go there. 'Payment' is placed in the Action field (same column as "Num") and is visible if you show the full transaction.

Yes, the Num value for the main line in the GJ is indeed the check number for the payment. I now see that when I click in a detail/subline the column headings change! Not super-intuitive but I get it and now I know to look for that.

Thanks for the help.

- Tim