[GNC] GnuCash 4.4 Announcement/GnuCash 4.3 Announcement

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Dec 30 11:41:42 EST 2020

> On Dec 30, 2020, at 6:24 AM, D. via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks, but the point is that the Gnucash project's standard practice-- that is, to post release announcements on the user and devel lists-- did not occur in this instance.
>
> @Frank: I didn't notice that your link was to a message in gnucash-announce. I don't know what the information flow typically is, but would assume that there is some script that repackages the announcement message and sends it along to the other lists as appropriate. Clearly, that didn't happen with these messages. I'd hazard a guess that most users only subscribe to the users list, and won't know about the new release otherwise.

David,

Nothing that fancy. I write the release notes for the website using the git log and a previous release notes, copy & paste it from a browser window into a blank email, address the email to gnucash-announce cc gnucash-devel and gnucash-user with reply to gnucash-user, and send it.

That usually works fine, but this time it went into the bit-bucket somewhere between my ISP's smtp server (which my logs show acknowledging receiving it) and Derek's. No bounce or error messages, just poof. Same with 3 resends on the 4.3 announcement and one on the 4.4, so I sent the referral email to gnucash-user that begins this thread. On a whim I tried resending without the cc's and that went through, though only users who're subscribed to gnucash-announce will have gotten them. That's what Frank linked to.

Regards,
John Ralls