[GNC] Failed - import of QIF files from Quicken

Tom Hatzigeorgiou tomhatz at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 17 10:08:06 EST 2020

I have seen  few emails on this subject.

Please see if the below statements would help you.

I've been having a problem with importing my data from Quicken and into GNUCASH for Windows using a QIF file created by Quicken. I’ve over 30 years of data with thousands of transactions spanning multiple accounts and categories.

I have found that there is an issue with the importer starting with version 3.2 (I think).

As mentioned  by others, the importer would fail without giving an error.

I have solved the issue by installing GNUCASH 3.1 importing my data and then installing the latest version (currently 3.8). Of course this assumes that you will be able to find the 3.1 install file. I hope you can find it in one of the archives.

I don’t see any problem with my data after I open the file (in GNU 3.8) created by the GNUCASH 3.1.

I was wondering if the developers could replace the importer (of the latest version) with the version that existed in the 3.1 version (until the import issue is fixed). I believe it would solved a lot of problems for a lot of people.

I have another issue getting security prices and bank transaction. I have read a lot of solutions but none has help me. When I find a simple solution to this problem I will post here.