[GNC] Importing XLM into GNUCash

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Wed Jun 3 17:40:40 EDT 2020

Will

In a sense GnuCash does import xml as its main datafile is stored as an xml file if you are not using the database
backends. XML is possibly a bit too wordy for general use as you have two tags in addition to the data for each piece of
data. you cannot use random tags - the program has to know how to interpret the tags. GnuCash also does import OFX and
QFX files which are XML files using a set of tags defined in the OFX specification for the exchange of finacial data.
You could always format data for import as OFX but it has a lot of extraneous data identifying the sourceof the data and
purpose that has to be supplied. CSV is generlly far easierto setup and import.

David Cousens

On Wed, 2020-06-03 at 08:17 -0500, will at theprescotts.com wrote:
> I am new to this mailing list although I have used GnuCash for years. I don't know if there exists a current solution
> to importing xml data, but it would seem to me to be a simple matter to write a translator that could convert xml into
> csv or some other format. Most languages (python, ruby, perl) have support for reading xml. Writing csv is easy.
>
> Will
>
> On 2020 Jun 2, at 06-02 20:42:00, Daming Gao <gdmut2013 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear community members,
>
> I am very new to GNUCash and here might be a dumb question to ask.
>
> We are using Logitude software to keep track of our invoices. They are exportable XML format. Is there a way to import
> XML into GNUCash? Since the import function does not support that (I only saw QIF/FIX/CSV…etc).
>
> Any help could be appreciated!
>
> Best,
> Gary

Dr David R Cousens