[GNC] Multiple copies of gnucash-user messages from the list

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Mar 2 15:27:06 EST 2020

Alan,

Have you by chance subscribed to notifications via Nabble or GMANE or some
other third-part forum-like resender of GnuCash list emails, as well as
subscribed to the mailman list at lists.gnucash.org?

I only ask because I am looking at the mail server logs on the gnucash
server and I do not see multiple messages to you.

I asked you this before, but you never responded:  Can you please forward
me the full message headers from one pair of duplicate messages?

Thanks,

-derek

On Mon, March 2, 2020 3:09 pm, Alan wrote:
> Adrien,
>
> I originally set the "avoid duplicate copies of messages" to "yes." It
> hasn't
> changed. It's still set to "yes."
>
> And please stop drifting from the original message thread subject. This is
> consistent dupes for EVERY message posted to this list. Direct messages
> (cc'd to
> me directly) are not dupes for this discussion.
>
> The "	Your other gnucash.org subscriptions" option shows that I am only
> subscribed to "gnucash-user," yet I'm still receiving hundreds of dupe
> messages
> with [via GnuCash]appended to each user name. You had that info two months
> ago.
>
> Those dupes are coming from the mailing list that YOU guys created.
> Responding
> to ANY of those messages results in a bounce rejection message from the
> list.
> Replying-all results in a bounce message and my original message addressed
> back
> to me. I'm really puzzled why you set up a "ghost" mailing list that
> mirrors the
> active list, with MIME enabled (my "real" list subscription is plain
> text).
>
> The "real" list messages (plain text) contain other list subscribers'
> email
> addresses, and my email address is included within the message author's
> displayed email address (can't print any message on paper without my email
> address showing up associated with the author).
>
> The dupe messages you are sending me have all the email addresses hidden
> ("hidden email"). Even the list email address, itself, is hidden. Clicking
> on
> any of those links results in an security warning from Outlook, then a
> "system
> cannot find the file specified" error and goes no further.
>
> Your archive messages also include a URL with the title "If you reply to
> this
> email, your message will be added to the discussion below:"
>
> That URL brings up a web page version of the message, also with email
> addresses
> hidden.
>
> The "real" list messages don't have those lines.
>
> Your archive messages also include a link titled " To start a new topic
> under
> GnuCash - User, email." URL brings up a new message window with the same
> undeliverable email address as shown in the "from" field of the message
> from
> your list.
>
> Your archive message version of this list will not accept replies, and
> prevents
> the recipient from participating in any discussion. So why are YOU sending
> them?
> Why are you operating a mailing list that permits subscription without
> [...]

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745