[GNC] Multiple copies of gnucash-user messages from the list

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Mar 2 15:45:13 EST 2020

Alan,

I’m just a user like you who participates on the list. Sometimes I ask questions for assistance, sometimes I offer to help others. I’m not a developer of GnuCash, and I don’t run this mailing list. While there are developers participating in this list, (and the list moderator) it exists precisely for users to help each other. It is not a ’support’ forum like you might expect with some large corporation.

It isn’t my software. The software that facilitates the list is called Mailman. It is open source.

Since you’ve finally provided an actual error message, I’d say the first problem is you sent a reply to Nabble which they don’t allow.

GnuCash has nothing to do with Nabble.

Nabble is a 3rd party that has taken it upon themselves to offer a web-forum like interface to the GnuCash mailing list. (among other such lists)

If there are issues with Nabble, then you should take it up with them.

If you would rather use an e-mail client with the list directly, without Nabble, then unsubscribe from Nabble or else change your Nabble preferences to not receive mail from them. (if such a preference exists) I’d suspect the duplicate issue will disappear.

There is no ‘feed’ of the archive, at least not from Mailman. Messages are sent out directly one at a time as they pass through the server (just like regular e-mail) or they are sent packaged up in a digest form either once or so per day, depending on message count and size. Maybe you subscribed to receive some sort of ‘feed’ of the archive via Nabble?

Finally, I have no idea what you mean by ‘changing the subject.’ I haven’t done any such thing. I have tried to help you figure out what is causing the problem so YOU can solve it. There is nothing *I* can do other than offer suggestions. (as I said, I don’t run this list, and I’d bet even the individual who does couldn’t do much, as it isn’t the list software likely causing the problem)

Other people use this list directly with no duplication issues.

Others use Nabble with no duplication issues.

You’re apparently trying to use both, and as the GnuCash wiki page about this list recommends, that is probably not a good idea.

-----

Finally, please do not e-mail list users directly unless specifically requested to do so. All discussions should stay on the list for the benefit of everyone.

I’ve sent this reply to the list only.

Regards,
Adrien