[GNC] Help Find Feature

Gio Bacareza gbacareza at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 21:46:27 EDT 2020

Hi Adrien, thanks for the response.

To answer your questions:
The reason I want to delete these transactions is because of a faulty
multi-currency import. See, I imported a year's worth of multicurrency
accounts and now I am fixing these as gnucash does not handle
multi-currency accounts export well. So I ended up with accounts where the
exchange rates between these accounts were auto populated by gnucash with a
1:1 ratio by default. I have fixed some accounts and have reconciled them.
I selected those with a few transactions because the process is very manual
and time consuming. So now I am left with accounts with transactions some
of which are with (1) reconciled accounts and some with (2) expense
accounts. Those with reconciled transactions I don't want to touch because
the other side is reconciled. Those on expense I want to delete and
reimport with a method I found that works with multi-currency imports.
Hence this is the reason I want to delete the transactions where the
transfer account = expense and children.

Illustrating the scenario without showing actual transactions, consider
Bank Account A USD. It has 10 or so transfers to Bank Account B in PHP and
200 expenses. I have fixed the 10 transfers manually. But I dont want to
fix the 200 expenses manually because it's too much time and effort for me.
So I plan to delete them and re-import with new method that works.

I hope this also answers your 2nd question: “Do you want to delete some or
*all* of the transactions in that expense account?"

Sorry if I didn't include the background in my first post as I didn't want
to complicate the question.

Now that I've explained the background is there a better way? Thanks.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 1:26 PM Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> First, I would ask, “Why do you want to delete these transactions?” and
> second, “Do you want to delete some or *all* of the transactions in that
> expense account?"
>
> You don’t need to ‘find’ transactions from an expense account to delete
> them.
>
> Just open the expense account if you want to delete certain ones, which
> you can narrow with a Find operation there if you like.
>
> Or if you want to delete all transactions in an expense account, just
> delete the account.
>
> GnuCash will ask you upon account deletion if you want to move the
> transactions as re-assigned to a different account (good for refactoring
> your tree) or if you want to delete the transactions entirely. Choose
> accordingly.
>
> But I’d still be interested in the original “why?” because you *may* be
> thinking deletion is an answer to a problem that might have a better
> solution.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> > On Mar 7, 2020 w10d67, at 10:03 PM, Gio Bacareza <gbacareza at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Tommy. This is a really interesting method and I can already think
> > of use cases. For my scenario though, as I mentioned earlier response, it
> > will add extra steps to what it is that I want to do.
> >
> > I want to be able to find transactions to/from expense accounts because I
> > need to delete them and I am looking for the fastest way to do that.
> Thanks

cheers,

Gio