[GNC] credit card split transactions

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Mar 18 20:12:05 EDT 2020

First, please always copy the list on all replies - others may benefit from the discussion or lend better advice.

---------

As for using a Check vs. a Credit Card for payment, there’s no difference between them.

Say you make a purchase at a store for bottled water and batteries with cash, this would be your sample transaction:

Dr. Expenses:Household		$5
Dr. Expenses:Food		$5
    Cr. Assets:Cash			$10

If you paid with a check or debit card tied to your checking account then:

Dr. Expenses:Household		$5
Dr. Expenses:Food		$5
    Cr. Assets:Checking			$10

If you paid with a credit card, then:

Dr. Expenses:Household		$5
Dr. Expenses:Food		$5
    Cr. Liabilities:CreditCard		$10

They are all the same transaction in form, with the difference being the source of funds.

If you aren’t using formal accounting labels (Preferences > Accounts > Labels) then you will see “Total Payments” and “Total Charges” as your column headings, but that is really just “Total Debit” and “Total Credit” respectively. The same amounts go in the same columns regardless of if the labels are formal or not. (I don’t particularly care for the informal labels because they don’t really apply to both sides of credit transactions and find them much more confusing than ‘debit’ and ‘credit’.)

If this isn’t what you’re trying to accomplish, provide an example like one of those above and we’ll try to help further.

Regards,
Adrien