[GNC] Existing multicolumn reports pick up old versions of selected single-column reports which have been edited.

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 06:05:40 EDT 2020

Scenario:

Report 1: Balance Sheet 2017
Report 2: Balance Sheet 2018
Report 3: Balance Sheet 2019

Create Multicolumn Balance Sheet which includes these three reports.

This behaves as expected.

Edit Report 1 - let’s say to omit the links to accounts.

Run Multicolumn Report again - no change in output.

Fix:

Edit Multicolumn Report - Remove Balance Sheet 2017 then Add Balance Sheet 2017

Explanation:

I suspect that reports which have been edited and saved aren’t simply replaced, but both versions are retained and labelled (? using UUID ?). Multicolumn reports aren’t aware of this, and pick up the zombies.

Workaround:

Always rename reports destined for multicolumn reporting when editing - this gets messy - or always remember to edit a multicolumn report after any of its constituents has been edited (which looks odd because you’re apparently deleting named reports and replacing them with reports with the same names.

I expect this won’t be a priority area for development, but this message may save another struggling user some hair-loss.

Michael