[GNC] Report seems to pull wrong amount from transaction

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue May 12 16:55:06 EDT 2020

> On May 12, 2020 w20d133, at 3:27 PM, Art Chimes <artsonline at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> 4. Is your account selection in the Report Options limited to that one
> account? Are you reporting on the account for the financial
> institution, where the funds come from, or from the target account
> where the funds land?
> ===Account selection in Report Options is limited to one account, the
> one from which the funds are taken. All three transactions involved
> the same dollar value (though the number of shares of the mutual fund
> were different). The full amount was paid out of the account (no fee
> charged) and received into my checking account after tax withholding
> was deducted.

Originally I was thinking of the setting for GC to determine price by ‘Most Recent’ or ‘Nearest In Time’, and such, but I see the Transaction Report doesn’t have it.

Since you are dealing with a Fund, maybe turn on Options > Display > Shares & Options > Display > Price and see if that info provides any clues. (and if it matches the transaction info)

If everything checks out, but January still shows $146, you may have a bug in the report.

> One other thing of possible relevance. I mentioned that the linked
> amounts in the report took me to the right account but not to the
> specific transaction. Now, the links go right to the corresponding
> transaction. I changed up a couple of things in the report (currency
> options), then went back to the previous options, and somehow that
> fixed it.

By ‘fixed it’ do you mean just that the links are to the specific transactions, or that *also* the report is showing $150 for all three transactions?

I’d also open the Fund register and run an Account Report for a time period that covers the transactions to see if that report also shows $146 for January in error or if it lists them all correctly. Maybe even expand the date range on both reports to see if there are any other transaction errors as they might have something in common to lend a clue.

Also, do the prices for the fund in the Price db match what should be there for the transaction? You should see entries dated the same as the various transactions with ’transaction’ noted in the ’type’ column.

Finally, if those entries in the Price db are correct, do you have any intervening prices between January and February (or any other recent period for the date of the report) that might calculate to $146?

The Transaction Report doesn’t have the option to choose commodity price calculation, it may be errantly taking the wrong one. (the right one would be the ’transaction’ price rather than a ‘recent’ ‘average’ or ’nearest in time’ scenario, though even that last one should match the transaction.)

If there are intervening prices near those dates, maybe temporarily deleting them (and manually re-entering later if you need them) and running the report, might get you the correct figures and expose the bug.

Regards,
Adrien