[GNC] Cannot Obtain Lock error?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Nov 7 09:32:27 EST 2020

On Sat, Nov 07, 2020 at 09:04:47AM -0500, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:

> > No to mention that there are very often (nearly always?) at least
> > three 'latest versions' for Open Source software:-
> >
> >      The latest stable, general release, version
> >
> >      The latest beta version, for 'ordinary users' to test, or even use
> >      if it works well for them
> >
> >      The latest 'cutting edge' direct from the software developers,
> >      often people will use this if it happens to have a new feature
> >      they 'really, really' need.
> >
> Close. Let me add my two cents.
>
> Beta: Use this IF needing some new feature. But be prepared for possible
> problems. Report any problems to the developers. not the user list UNLESS
> the sort of subtle problem that at first glace looks OK but really isn't (in
> that case might also want to put a warning post on the users' list). Also
> might ASK on the users' list "any other beta users seeing what I am seeing?"
>
> Alpha: Here is where I disagree somewhat with the post above. Only dedicates
> testers committing to seeking out and reporting problems to the developers
> should be using alpha. An end user doing this needs to have some experience
> testing software and when seeing something wrong not just giving a vague
> report but playing around a bit to be able to tell the developers WHAT
> gnucash seems to be doing wrong, not just "doing ti wrong".
>
>       Thus an end user whose motivation is "new feature I really really
> need" needs ALSO to have that testing experience. Otherwise you are putting
> your "production data" at risk. Alpha versions are expected to (still) be
> buggy. It would probably be OK for me to risk an alpha, but I'm retired from
> a few decades spent in the cypher mines.

Yes, I know (and mainly agree with) all that, I am a fully fledged
(well, ancient) chartered software engineer with lots of letters both
before and after my name if necessary.

I was just trying to aim my comment at non-computer people and,
anyway, it is beginning to drift away from the original issue.

--
Chris Green