[GNC] entry point error after recent automatic windows 10 update

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu Nov 26 10:20:08 EST 2020

On 11/25/2020 9:25 PM, laurel hargis wrote:
> Perhaps the Windows 10 update didn’t cause the problem. Maybe coincidence.
> ........ but still don’t know how to find my files or work on them.  That’s why I’m concerned about
> losing 10 months of work although I’m told the files are in there
> somewhere.

a) Not knowing how to find your gnucash data file(s) is a different
problem. More related to being able to use Windows tools. If we told you
extremely likely that the name of your gnucash file(s) ends with the
file extension .gnucash do you know how to use Windows Explorer to find
such files? In other words, if you don't know how to ask Windows "show
me all files ending in .xyz" your problem is not specific to gnucash.

b) A desktop shortcut not working is not the same as program not
working. Referring to "a" above, are you able to find the file
"gnucash.exe" on your computer. What happens when you click to open that
file? If that opens gnucash for you, do you know how to create a
shortcut to that on your desktop. Again, those are "using Windows"
matters, not gnucash matter.

Michael D Novack

PS -- I am NOT wanting to appear snide, just that your problem may be
more "needing to have using Windows support". Do you have, for example,
a "Windows 10 for Dummies" book?  (or one for whatever version of
Windows you are using). Please note that my wife would be helpless in
the same situation you are reporting. She. for example, could not use
explorer to find a file or create a shortcut to something. Luckily she
has a resident support person.