[GNC] Data Entry Overload - Create Bill + Post Bill + Pay Bill vs just Pay Bill?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Oct 9 12:38:52 EDT 2020

My rule is to create bills for everything which is a receivable for the
vendor. (not an immediate sale)

So if I get an invoice from them, and have to issue payment, I create
the bill.

In this case, while it seems you're dealing with an immediate sale, if
the payment fails for some reason, you still have to issue payment
manually. By 'immediate sale' I mean those cases where I personally make
the payment manually on the spot. (such as online purchases, or in
person purchases)

I probably would also create bills for such items like you describe
simply to afford myself the use of Vendor Reports and Payables tracking,
especially if not all of their invoices to me fall under this use case.
But I understand that might not work for everyone.

Do you happen to know what those 50-100 line items are in advance? (are
they recurring each year, or are they truly guaranteed charges but
one-offs as to the details?)

Duplication is how I enter about 99% of my vendor bills already. But if
that gets tedious, and you know the data in advance, create a
spreadsheet with that invoice data according to the format specified in
the Help/Guide, then import them all at once. (some will of course have
future dates)

As they get auto-drafted, enter or import the payment transaction and
apply as payment.

When you run reports, instead of using the default 'end of accounting
period' use 'today' as your end date. That way, the future posted
invoices won't affect the report.

But this does give you the benefit of including them to see a projection
of future due expenses if you like.

Another option is to forego the Business Features for that Vendor (or
for those Bills) and use Scheduled Transactions. You will still want to
review and edit the transaction with the line-item detail in a split
memo, but otherwise, you will cut down on clicks and data entry. At
least do an SX for the expenses (Bills) but you could do one for the
payment as well, and upon review before committing, check your bank
online to verify successful payment, then mark the 'r' column as 'c' for
that split.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Adrien