[GNC] Help - entering opening balances

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Sep 8 08:52:04 EDT 2020

I am at the stage of lots of rude words at the moment! :-)

I am just starting to try and set up GnuCash for the PCC accounts and
I've fallen at the first hurdle.  I can't work out how to enter
opening balances for the two accounts we have - a current account and
a savings account (which is basically the building fund).

I have to say at present the help system is worse than useless, maybe
I'll get used to it later but it really doesn't help at all at this
beginner level.

A search for 'opening balance' in the Tutorial and Concepts Guide
always takes me back to the top level whereas I want to search within
a section.  HOw do I search for 'opening balance' in the Managing
Business Finances section?

So, ignoring the help system, how do I enter an Opening Balance?
There's a section in accounts under 'Equity' for opening balances and
I tried creating two accounts under that and entering balances but the
result made no sense at all to me.  Having entered an opening balance
I'd expect the balance sheet to show me that amount but GnuCash just
did a decrease and a balancing increase in the Equity account which
doesn't really make much sense.

--
Chris Green