[GNC] Confused Entering A Refund To Credit Card Account

Liz Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Thu Apr 1 18:00:55 EDT 2021

On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 23:22:06 -0400
Jack Frillman via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> Doesn't everyone track their sales tax as a separate expense item?
> Why would you consider sales tax the same type of an expenditure as
> groceries, gasoline or your electric bill?

As others have said, there are different reasons to do this.
In my personal books, no. I don't get any choice on paying the tax, and
I cannot apply for reimbursement.

In my company books, yes. I also have to split between general expenses
where the tax is fully claimable, and motor vehicle expenses where I
have to pay a share, so only part of the tax is claimable.
So if I buy fuel and a coffee in the one transaction, I have to have a
5 way split
Expenses:Motor Vehicle: Fuel
Liabilities:GST paid:Motor Vehicle
Expenses:Office Expenses (or Entertainment or whatever is appropriate)
Liabilities:GST paid
Assets:Bank account

I think in these circumstances everyone has good reasons to do whatever
they choose with the tax, and no one is "wrong".

Liz