[GNC] CSV matching for credit cards?

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 1 23:49:08 EDT 2021

Elmar,

The terminology switches are a bit of a problem and those in the
documentation likely my faullt. I have an accounting background and I see
everything as either debits or credits and the relationships between those
and various account types are now pretty embedded. I updated the CSV
documentation after Geert rewrote a lot of the code a couple of years ago. I
used the terminology that the previous documentation writer had used which
was the Withdrawal/Deposit and Increase/Decrease for Liabilitiy accounts.
rather than the accounting Debit/Credit headers. This is an option in the
Edit Preferences_>Accounts->Labels which you can select to force formal
accounting labels. I don't think the switching of informal and formal
accounting labels has carried through into the importer from memory.  The
importer is also designed to deal with , a single column of signed amounts,
two columns (debits and credits) with unsigned amounts.

Then further confusion usually arises because your bank regards your bank
account as a Liability to them and your credit card as an asset of theirs.

I will add a page to the https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/CSV_Import/Export
page and put a table of equivalences  there in a breakout
pagehttps://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/index.php?title=Formal/Informal_Label_Equivalence_and_Importing_CSV
which may help in sorting such issues out. When I have time I will shift it
into the documentation. i am a bit rusty on the wiki editing so it may take
a day or 2

David

-----
David Cousens