[GNC] Mutual fund quotes in the U. S.

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 21:43:02 EDT 2021

I am not sufficiently comfortable with BASH, Chron jobs, etc to be willing
to set up an outside utility to do that.  I manually download prices inside
the GnuCash price database using Yahoo as JSON as the source.  If I forget
to do it in the late evening I sometimes try to do it in the morning before
the market opens as I have several stock prices that I am also tracking.
That is how I discovered the incorrect dates on the mutual funds prices,  I
am not sure if, for example, GnuCash downloads a stock price during the
day, does it replace it with a closing price if it downloads again after
the market closes.  I suspect it may not even keep the timestamps that come
with the prices, so there may not be any clue about that.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 8:18 PM Jack Frillman via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure what you are using to updated the your prices but I wrote a
> python script & a bash script that get the quotes and put them into a
> csv file for importing into GNUCash and I don't have that date issue. I
> run the scrips in the evening when the markets are closed.
>
> On 4/23/21 8:59 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> > I noticed recently that if I download mutual fund prices after about 7 AM
> > central daylight time the prices are saved in GnuCash with todays date
> even
> > though they are still yesterday's closing NAV until sometime after the
> > markets close.  To reliably get the correct price posted on the correct
> > date it seems that I must wait until after 7PM Central time but before
> 7AM
> > the following morning.
> >
> > I would like to suggest an enhancement that if GnuCash downloads a United
> > States mutual fund price with a morning time stamp that it presume it to
> be
> > yesterday's closing NAV price.  I would like comments from others about
> > this.
> >

> --
> Old Unix programmers never die, they just mv to /dev/null
> - Anonymous

David Carlson