[GNC] Separate file for each financial year vs single file

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Fri Apr 30 10:22:58 EDT 2021

On 4/30/2021 12:52 AM, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
> I have observed that as the file grows in size, GnuCash becomes slightly
> slow. That is obvious because it take more processing to load and search
> through data when size is more.
>
> I have a small business. But in future, I likely to have more
> transactions every month. So my questions are:
>
> What is recommended way to keep accounts? A separate file for each
> financial year. Or a single file that grows with time.

The answer to this depends on the answer to a work flow question. How
often are you needing to look at the details of a transaction in the
previous year? And in what context (also looking at the current year or
not).

Not that the answer to this probably depends on time of year. Looking
back 30-60 days might not be unusual, and in January of February, that
is in the previous year.

Also, slow in doing what? Everything, or just slow to come up and/or
slow to produce reports. You don't gain much by speeding up what is just
done rarely in comparison to what is done very frequently.

Michael D Novack