[GNC] data transfer to new computer

David H hellvee at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 15:03:11 EST 2021

Leo,

That file is a backup file of your saved gnucash reports so stop trying to
open that with Gnucash.  Where did you save your Gnucash data file on your
old pc? I'm assuming you were just using the default xml data file backend
previously - if so you should be looking for a file with a ".gnucash" file
extension.  You'll have to turn on "File name extensions" to see the file
extension in Explorer if you don't already have it turned on.  be careful
as you may find some .gnucash file with dates and times in the file name -
these are gnucash backup files.  Ideally you want the file with the gnucash
extension and without the date and time in the name.

Check out https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/File for details.

Also be aware that if you are opening a file with version 4.8 for the first
time it will take a little while to migrate the details from a data file
that was written by a prior version.  Do you recall what version of Gnucash
you had installed on your old pc as I would probably want to install that
same version on the new pc initially and check that everything was 100%
before upgrading to 4.8 if it was an older version.

Cheers David H.