[GNC] How to use/add GAU currency?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jan 11 12:44:46 EST 2021

> On Jan 11, 2021, at 1:16 AM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi <mbnoimi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>   Hello,
>
>   In my country we use GAU instead of XAU as a currency. How can I
>   add/use it in GnuCash?
>
>   GAU = Gold Grams
>
>   Ex. [1]https://goldprice.org/gold-price-per-gram.html
>
>   I tried to add it as a new security with NASDAQ type but it only works
>   in stock accounts while I want it to works as Bank/Asset account.

GnuCash supports only national currencies and a few precious metal commodities like XAU recognized by the ISO-4217 standard as currencies that you can have in a bank account. In practice it's unlikely that one should use the precious metal commodities that way; one can't pay for groceries in XAU or GAU so you *should* book them in a stock type account. The only significant restriction on stock accounts is that they can't be used in the business modules. GnuCash does not support barter.

Your next problem is that the symbol GAU represents the stock Galliano Gold Inc. [1] that trades on the NYSE and that would be the quote you'd get from Finance::Quote. That doesn't mean you can't use GAU for gold priced in grams, just that you shouldn't turn on online quotes for it.

Regards,
John Ralls