[GNC] GnuCash very slow to start up and quit

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Jun 13 03:28:12 EDT 2021

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 06:31:25AM +0000, Tim Hume wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using GnuCash for a number of years. I especially like how it
> can handle foreign currencies - a feature that the commercial software
> packages tend to charge extra for.
>
> But a continual annoyance is how slow GnuCash is at these operations:
>
> 1. Starting up (Takes more than a minute)
> 2. Quitting (Takes a long time)
> 3. Importing new transactions from CSV files (Easily a couple of minutes for modest imports).
>
> I'm running GnuCash on Fedora Linux.

I'm running it on two Ubuntu Linux systems (same files on both, using
Syncthing to keep synchronised).

> Version: 4.5 (27th March 2021 build)

In my case it's version 4.4, default from the Ubuntu repositories.

> Hardware: i5 Dell ultrabook, 8Mbyte RAM.

Laptop is Lenovo, i7, desktop Fujitsu i5

> Backend: SQLite database

Ditto

> Database size: About 36 Megabytes on an SSD drive.

Mine is much smaller, only 250k or so, also on SSD on both systems.

> Is there any quick tips to speed things up? Or should I just throw more
> hardware at it (Ryzen7 desktop or something similar)? When running top,
> I see gnucash tends to be CPU bound when it is performing these slow tasks.

Mine starts up in a second or two and quits instantaneously.  I guess
the difference must simply be down to the size of database.  I create
a new accounts file each year, apart from anything else it keeps the
auditor happy (church accounts) and it certainly keeps it small.
Could you maybe split your system somehow?

--
Chris Green