[GNC] Reconcile Opening Balance

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon May 3 10:53:17 EDT 2021

Hi,

On Mon, May 3, 2021 9:40 am, Mahon Finbar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sure this has come up before....but.....
>
> Reconciling an account - I have a starting balance of €x,xxx.xx and an
> ending balance from the date of the latest bank statement of €x,xxx.xx.
>
> So far so good. I have checked the entries in the a/c and all are either
> R or c. I have also checked there are no non-cleared that I don't know
> about.
>
> However, I have a surplus when 'reconciled' and I cannot find out why....😅
>
> Is there anywhere I can find where the starting balance number comes
> from? Is that 'wrong' giving a surplus or am I missing transaction(s)
> somewhere?

Within GnuCash it is computed (the sum on all reconciled data).
It *should* match the ending balance from your previous statement.  You
can go check that.  If it does NOT match, then you might have
inadvertantly un-reconciled a previous transaction, or possibly moved it
or accidentally changed it.

If the balance DOES match, then go through each transaction carefully --
most likely there is a typo in there, a missing transaction, or an extra
transaction.  (I had this issue recently where I mis-typed something, and
strangely the difference exactly equalled another transaction..  It took
me about 3 passes before I finally found the issue).

> Barry

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745