[GNC] Possible Ubuntu problems

Eric Coates TwistedWood at talktalk.net
Wed May 19 10:37:51 EDT 2021

David, Geert, Chris (a consolidated reply)

As you responded I take it I'm forgiven!

Under Ubuntu 18.04 I used Gnome Tweaks (as it is called using Synaptic)
to apply a degree of transparency (to the Dash). It survived the
upgrades to 20.04, 20.10 and 21.04. David Carlson suggested a work
around (on 14th May) using Tweaks (as it's called in Ubuntu Activities).
I tried that and discovered that Tweaks is acting very strangely.
Uninstalling it and re-installing makes no difference. (See below for an
attempt to describe the "strangeness".)

I do, in fact, use the Yaru-Light theme - at my age I have an aversion
to anything bordered in black.

The problems I'm seeing in 21.04:

(1) As stated above, Tweaks is no longer doing anything sensible. It
starts up but selecting one of the tabs causes the whole window to flash
and jitter. It can be stopped by moving the pointer into the main panel
and clicking the back icon but choosing another tab causes the jittering
to start over. With patience I got the Appearance panel to display but
the down arrows don't display any alternatives.

(2) I like to have the euro symbol available from the keyboard (using
the default, for my local, of the English UK option). It was available
in 18.04, 20.4 and 20.10 using AltGr + 4, it isn't in 21.04. After a lot
of experimentation I managed to recover the ability but only by
installing the English(Colemak) keyboard as the default with English(UK)
as a second option. Without Colemak the euro symbol is not available,
with it there the euro symbol is available with AltGr+4 on the
English(UK) keyboard. Weirdly (to me at least) having English(UK) as
default and English(Colemak) as the second option doesn't work. (There's
a problem of remembering to change the keyboard setting on boot up.)

(3) With Tweaks missing from the system (a complete removal via
Synaptic) makes it impossible to select multiple items in the file
manager. It is possible to move/copy files by right clicking and using
the context menu. Installing Tweaks and rebooting makes it possible to
make multiple selection (albeit with a grey highlighting - if that's not
an oxymoron - rather than the traditional orange).

Thanks for your patience

Take care

Eric