[GNC] best way to upgrade on Ubuntu 20.04 [was Re: QFX import: transaction matching NOT learning to match]

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 18:26:15 EDT 2021

David,

Whether you choose to build from source or use a flatpack will depend on your experience and confidence with building software on Linux. The process is described fairly completely in the wiki https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building,  https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building_On_Linux and their breakout pages.
If you just want to use the software, then the flatpak is an easy entry. The
flatpack is currently being maintained by the major developers so is currently
being updated with new releases. Permissions issues associated with the flatpack
use of system resources and different locations for config and stored reports
etc seem to have been the main issues. See https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Flatpak
 for more info. The major limitation is not having the Python bindings shipped
in the flatpak, which is only a limitation if you wish to use external python
programs to work on your data in GnuCash. The snadboxing provided by flatpack
might give some protection from affecting or being affected by other installed
software. I use a wide range of self built software and have never had any
serious issues as Linux seems to do that fairly effectively anyway.

My personal preference is to build from source. On Linux once you have all the
dependency header files installed it is usually straight forward. The wiki
instructions can be turned into a script  to install them fairly readily and a
number of people have posted scripts for this in the mailing list in the past.
Sometimes the library header names can differ slightly on various distros for a
few libraries. It allows me to stay with the most recent stable version for
production work and as I have in the past done a few minor code developments and
a little work on the documentation, building from source is a necessary part of
that.

David Cousens