[GNC] Scheduled transactions details

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 22:51:21 EST 2021

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 2:34 PM Kalpesh Patel <kalpesh.patel at usa.net> wrote:

> David,
>
> Thank you for that primer appreciate it.
>
> Boy was I under huge mis-understanding behind their intent for sure. My
> understanding of “value” was more aligned with like value of the
> transaction at hand for me, for example like $90 for the monthly train pass
> as a scheduled transaction.
>
> Since I deal only with US Dollars currency, should that be just a value of
> 1? I reckon that I won’t have any transactions that creates imbalance.

I know I'm way late responding here (behind on my email) but I'd like to
say your understanding of value is exactly correct. I don't doubt you can
use it as explained (for currency conversion) but you can also use it as a
placeholder that fills in and/or calculates the result in a scheduled
transaction. Just type a "single word" string in the numeric part of a
scheduled transaction and the Since Last Run dialog will prompt you for the
value of that single word used as a variable.

For example, if you put the word Pass in both the debit and credit fields
instead of a numeric value, the dialog will put "Pass" on the dialog and
prompt you for the amount to fill in.

You can also enter a more complicated transaction with (one or more?)
variable and numeric actions, such as Pass*1.09 (to automatically add nine
percent to any amount you type).

You will quickly run into some limitations -- for example it would be
really keen if you could automatically calculate the splits on amortized
loans, but the needed functions just don't exist in the Scheduled
Transaction parser. Back when I had a mortgage in my scheduled
transactions, I just had it insert a realistic split every month for the
principal, escrow, etc. then go back and fix the amounts to the penny every
quarter to correspond with the bank's statement.