[GNC] gnucash-user Digest, Vol 224, Issue 36

Mark alien.technology at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 12:33:09 EST 2021

Hi Alex,

I have an open source project which pushes VAT records to HMRC from
GnuCash: https://github.com/cybermaggedon/gnucash-uk-vat

I created this for me, I suspect I'm the only user at the moment.  I
registered with HMRC as a developer and got approval to use this, with all
the right fraud protection headers.  Further, I have been using this for my
own VAT returns since April this year, everything works fine, and I the
appropriate VAT records are created.  In periods where I'm VAT-positive, I
have received refunds to my bank account as I should.

Complications:
- This needs the gnucash Python modules, which as I understand it, are only
bundled with the Linux builds of GnuCash. I can't speak as to whether it is
possible to get this to work with other operating systems. It might be
possible to get this working by parsing the GnuCash file directly so that
the gnucash modules aren't needed.
- There are problems with how the credentials would work. HMRC won't permit
me to publicly share the secret key which authorises the application.  I
can generate secret keys and give them to individuals on the understanding
that they are not shared, but there's a limit of 4 keys.  It is possible
for other people to register developer accounts and get keys to use my
application as I understand it, HMRC developer support told me that was the
correct thing to do.

Info on credentials:
https://github.com/cybermaggedon/gnucash-uk-vat#credentials

FYI, I have an interest in getting GnuCash working for all my UK business
accounting, I have GnuCash corporation tax filing working and filed my own
corp tax this year. Companies House accounts filing is nearly complete. If
anyone is interested in collaboration on UK business accounting, get in
touch.

Mark.