[GNC] Reconciliation discrepancies

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Tue Apr 12 10:16:15 EDT 2022

I've been using GnuCash for 12 years and have rarely had a reconcile
discrepancy that could be blamed on the software (that was a date bug that
reared its head a while back - quickly corrected).  And the incidence of
error on the bank's part has been extremely rare.  Most occasions when I've
encountered a sizable imbalance have been due to transactions I bungled by
inadvertently entering them with a munged date.  The faulty entry has
eventually been found lurking back in time among previously balanced data.
The GnuCash reconciliation process displays the beginning balance, and I've
learned to first double check that number and the reconciliation date for
correspondence with the bank statement when there is an imbalance.
Searching the account for unreconciled transactions is a good way to reveal
any junk entries that were inadvertently plunked down back in time.

In my experience, whenever you encounter something puzzling in GnuCash, the
most likely cause is user error or a failure to RTFM.