[GNC] Request for two new features in GnuCash

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun Aug 7 00:14:30 EDT 2022

On 8/6/2022 10:53 PM, Bruce Irving wrote:
> I have three separate data files: personal and two for non-profit
> organizations.  I've always started gnucash by selecting the data file.
>
> I have tried putting a link to the data file on my desktop (both when I was
> using Ms and now with Linux.)  The only problem is that the log files are
> created on the desktop.  If I navigate to the data directory (folder) and
> double click the data file, the log files are created in the data
> directory.  In Ms, I could have the link start in the data folder.
> Unfortunately, I haven't found how to do that in Linux yet.

The last line says it all.

a) Learn how you would submit gnucash from the command line. In other
words, what is the string of characters such that if you had that string
on the command line and hit enter it would change to the right directory
and invoke the program with the parameters wanted (the data file name
one of these)

b) Learn how to create an "object" on your desktop such that when you
clicked on that object it would have the same effect as entering that
string at the command line.

When you can do those two things, you can have three such objects, one
for each of your three sets of books. But please note that what you have
learned is not specific to gnucash.

Michael D Novack