[GNC] Share Values recording

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 17:42:32 EDT 2022

Finbar,

This is likely as specific as it gets or can get
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/chapter_invest.html.

As others have mentioned the exact accounting treatment depends on the tax rules
in your jurisdiction and likely business regulations if you are conducting
investment as a business operation.

>From there you specify what information you need for:
a) tax purposes;
b) your management of your investments;
c) reporting purposes if your investment can be classed as a business activity.

This in turn defines what your account structure should be for investments.

The examples in the guide will reflect fairly common practice in many
jurisdictions but the devil is always in the local detail. For that you either
need a local accountant/financial adviser you trust or you need to acquire the
skills to research the legislation and regulation in your jurisdiction and turn
that into accounting methodology.

David Cousens