[GNC] Share Values recording

flywire flywire0 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 19:40:57 EDT 2022

This might be a TAX issue but financial reporting is very much a GnuCash
issue and has nothing to do with tax advice. Different terms being used for
the same thing in different jurisdictions complicate the discussion, and
then the taxes actually vary.

I've managed to move most of my spreadsheet tax fiddling back into Gnucash
where a lot of it is useful. It tracks and reports Sales Tax (GST in
Australia) and share Dividend income (Franked, Franking Credit, Unfranked),
and a Contra account can easily report Distribution in the correct year.

The capital gain issue is more about reporting taxable transactions than
the actual tax payable. That doesn't seem that complicated. In Australia
share (asset) capital gains are taxed at the same rate as income tax,
unless they have been held for more than a year when only half of the
capital gain (an account or split) is taxable. Capital losses are not an
expense but they can be accumulated and used to offset gains. If capital
gain is a liability I suppose losses are a negative liability but I'd take
advice from someone with an accounting background on the COA structure.

This isn't covered very well in the guide investment section. Sample report
in
https://www.sharesight.com/blog/capital-gains-tax-calculator-for-australian-investors/
(not software I use).

Now tax payable calculations, that's way too complicated. Even the tax
accountant's software is only an estimate.